The other day, while sitting in the classroom I am currently observing (a 6th grade math class… I don’t like 6th graders or math for the record…) I had some time to think. I came up with a list of 5 things I always want to be, and 5 things I never want to be. Here goes.
5 things I always want to be
1. Loving. I want to always love everyone. I want to love kids, I want to love my friends, I want to love the people that believe no one actually does love them. I want to have compassion for everyone I meet and I want to always be kind. I want to be loving.
2. Content. Now don’t get me wrong, I don’t want to be complacent. Progression is essential to happiness. But I never want to be dissatisfied with what God has given me. I want to be content.
3. Open. I want to always be ready to share my thoughts and feelings with whoever asks. I want to share my experiences and let people in to my life. I want to be approachable and authentic. I want to be open.
4. Teachable. I want to always be ready to receive new knowledge. I want to be able to accept and apply critique and instruction in my life. I want to always be growing and changing, never stubborn or immovable. I want to be teachable.
5. Grounded. I want to be practical and focused on my goals. I don’t want to lose perspective or forget who I am. I never want to think too highly of myself. I never want to think too poorly of myself. I want to be grounded.
5 things I never want to be
2. Disloyal. The people in my life are infinitely important to me. I never want to betray or hurt them. I want to be dependable and faithful. I never want to be disloyal.
3. Dishonest. I never want to be a liar. I want to always tell the truth, no matter the consequences. Honesty is always the best policy. I never want to be dishonest.
4. Rude. I never want to be rude or mean. I am not superior to anyone and I never have an excuse to be unkind. I never want to be selfish enough to think I can hurt anyone’s feelings. I never want to be rude.
5. Boring. I want to be fun and adventurous and alive. I never want to be a slug on the couch or a timid rabbit. I want to squeeze every ounce of enjoyment out of life. I never, never want to be boring.
And there you have it. This is what I want for my life. That is all.